Saturday, April 12, 2014

L for Learning Styles

What are learning Styles?

Learning style is described as a group of characteristics, attitudes and behaviors that define our way of learning.
Different styles influence the form students learn, how teachers teach and how is the interaction between them. Each student will have preferences when it comes to the learning environment, to the atmosphere and the way learning is done. Learning Styles is an important aspect to take into consideration when studying or learning. It can help the student retain information.
 
There exists three kinds of Learning Styles: (the VAK model) 
1. Visual
2. Auditory
3. Kinesthetic  
 

The Auditory Learning Style

Auditory Learners learn best when information is presented auditory in an oral language format. They enjoy participating in classroom discussions. They benefit from lectures, audiotapes and other forms of verbal instruction. 
 
Learning Strategies for Auditory Learners:
Auditory Learners learn best by-
• Joining a study group of having a “study- buddy” with whom to exchange verbal communication  with.
• Repeating information out-loud.
• Tape-recording information.
• Using Audio tapes (even for “reading” a book).
• Writing out and then repeating information.  
 

The Visual Learning Style

 Style Visual learners are best taught when information is presented visually and in a written language format. Seeing an outline on a whiteboard, reading a book, looking at colors, etc. are all beneficial for Visual Learners to learn. These students enjoy taking class notes, reading from the text book and can often work alone. Visual Learners do just that: they can VISUALIZE information to remember it.
 
Learning Strategies for Visual Learners:
Visual Learners learn best by:
• Using highlighter pens, highlighting different kinds of information in contrasting colors.
• Taking notes, even in abbreviation.
• Making flashcards of vocabulary words and concepts that need to be memorized.
• Writing explanations of diagrams, illustrations, pictures, etc.
• Before exams taking review notes (sticky notes, flashcards, etc.) to reread.
 

The Kinesthetic Learning Style

 Kinesthetic Learners are best taught when involved with hands-on activities. They enjoy physical activities, lab experiments and in-class demonstrations. Often drivers who are Kinesthetic Learners memorize a location by actually driving there.
 
Learning Strategies for Kinesthetic Learners:
The best way for Kinesthetic Learners to memorize information is to: Take notes during lectures. Sit close to instructor to avoid distractions. When studying, walk back and forth rereading class notes. Make flashcards with symbols on them. Use the computer for research. Listen to Audio tapes while exercising.

 

Self-Teaching / Self-Learning

When Students know their Learning Style, it certainly helps them retain information better and for a longer period of time. Each student should know his / her Learning Style and which ways are best for him / her to learn new information, retain it and study for tests. Most students can know which Learning Styles they have (or take a quiz) and can most certainly help themselves learn best!
 
Finding out Your Learning Style You might already know your own Learning Style by now. For a free online quiz to help determine your Learning Styles, you may go to the following website:http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/lstyleqz.htm     
 

Resources

The Four Modalities: www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/2106/4mod.html
Miller, S,. (2000). Learning Styles Survey ©.
Collin, R., (1987). Learning Styles.
Fleming, G., Learning Style Quiz Visual, Kinesthetic, and Auditory Styles
Online Learning Styles Quiz: http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/a/lstyleqz.htm                        
                                          

  

 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post, Oriya!
    I've always thought I am a visual learner until I discovered about a month ago that I am more auditory !
    The issue of Learning styles is being hotly debated these days. Your post provides a good overview and will serve as a solid foundation for one of the upcoming lessons.
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Oriya,
    There is no doubt that different learning styles actually have a significant influence on the way students learn and even on the way teachers teach.
    I certainly believe that we, as future teachers, should take this aspect into our consideration and do our best in order to provide our students the suitable way of learning. Actually, I can see it reflected in my own practice classroom, which contains students who have different learning styles. While some of them are visual learners, others are auditory learners or kinesthetic ones.
    Moreover, I think it's extremely important for pupils to know their own learning style, since it helps them retain information better and for a longer period of time. Therefore, I certainly believe that it can be very beneficial as well as useful to expose our students to different learning styles until they will know which ways are better for them.
    I'm looking forward to acquire further knowledge regarding this aspect within our next lessons in the course.

    Thanks, Sigal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Oriya,
    I can definitely relate to what you said, I think that it is extremely influential and valuable that learners will be aware of their learning style. No doubt that the teacher should be also aware of the way students learn and what best works for them. It is crucial to try to provide learning strategies in order to facilitate their learning. Furthermore, I think that pupils should be exposed to various learning styles. Once they figure out what way is best for them they can learn productively in terms of saving time, retaining information and just being less frustrated when studying for an exam. I truly look forward to the upcoming lesson which will be discussing this matter. I hope to broaden my knowledge in the field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Oriya,

    Having read that, we, as teachers to be, must be aware to the different learning styles in order to use this knowledge while teaching our pupils. It is super important especially when we are dealing with teaching a foreign languageas a second language. Some pupils needs to memorize through making flashcards, some use audio tapes. Moreover, teachers need to know their pupils and also should be familiar with the learning styles. This combination of knowing our pupils and the learning styles is beneficial if we want the pupils to use their abilities in order to succeed.
    We have to give them the varied options of learning styles, this way they will get to know themselves in addition to the examination of the differentated ways of learning. Personally, I haven't decided yet whether I'm a visual learner or an auditory learner but I'm willing to figure it out soon by reading more and more about this fantastic subject. Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Oriya
    Reading your post was very informative and helpful, I am taking a course whice deals with Learning Disabilities by Ph.D Ayelet Katzof. In the last session we had, we talked about the different lobes in the brain and their punctions. Ayelet talked about memory disabilities and their causes, she also explained that encoding new memory in the brain by multi varied stimulus will improve the storage and the recall of that memory. So we can infer that by using those 3 types of learning styles simultaneously we will benefit our learning, and the information will be embedded in our brain much more easier. I personally used to stand while I'm memorizing new information, it helps me keep on focus by reinforcing my bloodstream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Oriya
      This is a great subject that we as teachers must know. We as teachers come across these learning styles a lot, but usually most teachers don't bother to do something about it. Each student has its own style of learning. Most of them don't even know their styles. Because of that fact many students struggle in school. But it is a difficult job to the teachers to notice each students' learning style. In a class over 30 students it is almost impossible to focus on all of them. It is difficult to divide a lesson that eventually will be beneficial for all the learning styles.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi,
      I absolutely agree with you.
      As a teacher it's hard to make lesson according to the learning style of each student. But, sometimes students fail in exams just because they are not aware of the learning style that suits them. As a teacher you know exactly what each student has difficulty because you are the one who checks the tests so you can come and tell your students what is their learning style and help them.

      Delete
  7. Dear Oriya,
    Learning styles is an important topic to be familiar with to every student or future teacher. In order to understand how every individual learn we should acknowledge the differences between every leaner, his/hers characteristics and skills. After years of high school and collage it is clear to me that I am definitely a visual learner, when I write things down it helps me "picture" the material in my mind and remember it better. I take notes, use highlight pens and organize material in a certain order. Learning by hearing the teacher talks is not as effective for me as when I write it down. When teaching my class, I often notice how different my students are when it comes to learning styles, and I try to do my best using different approaches in order to interest all of them, but as Michael said, it is hard to do so when you have above 30 pupils in one class. Most of the young learners are not aware of their learning style, therefore we as teachers should try and use all of the VAK models combined together and understand the variety in every class.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Oriya,
    Reading your post was very useful .learning styles is a very important topic that we as a future teachers must be familiar with since each student has its own style of learning. Most of them don't even know their styles. Because of that fact many students struggle in school and this is the reason why the teacher has work very hard . I think it's important for pupils to know their own learning style, since it helps them retain information better and to know in which way it's easier for them to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Oriya
    After reading what you wrote I discovered many ways in which you can learn a new language and this approach is missing in Levinsky so thanks for making that clear.
    We as teachers must be attentive to the needs of our students otherwise we will lose a large amount of them and it will hurt our teaching infrastructure and therefore we must be varied in our teaching methods.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Oriya,
    The topic of learning styles is something we hear about a lot in our studies but it is something you rarely see teachers respond to in the practice in schools. Having read the examples you wrote in the summary, I think that most people have a learning style which combines two or more of the styles you mentioned. Once you know of the different learning styles, it is easier to identify them in the pupils in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  11. בס"ד
    Dearest Oriya,
    I don't know what is left to say after everyone's lovely comments, but I'll try. As my fellow students said – a wonderful post, very informative and well written, but in the same time very easy to read and clear.
    I loved the fact that not only you combined the traits of the different learners, but you also add the affective ways of learning; you clearly made the transition from the theory to the application in the classroom.
    Moreover, I am personally very passionate about the "Learning Styles" method. I know that it worked for me and improved my long-term memory range (see my comment on M for Memory). I've seen it work wonders numerous times and I believe that sometime in the not-so-far future, other people will recognize it too.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Oriya,
    I have to say your summary on the term is absolutely fantastic! It is well organized and not hard to follow or understand. Before reading your post, I always considered myself to be a visual learner. However, after reading your post I think I'm also a bit of a kinesthetic learner as well, which I was surprised to find out.
    What type of learner do you think you are?
    What type of learner did you consider yourself to be before writing this summary?

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley,
      Before writing this summery I thought I was only a visual learner. But, now I think I'm a combination of the three styles. I like to write things few times in order to remember them , Sometimes I draw a mind map that's how I see it and it seemed to me more organized and understandable and sometimes I'm learning on the computer .

      Delete